The Hoover Mason Trestle, at the former Bethlehem Steel Plant, used as a narrow gauge railroad to carry the coke, limestone and iron ore to make the iron from the ore yards to the blast furnaces. Now a public walkway designed to be a museum, community recreation resource and attraction. The trestle stands 46 feet tall and 2,000 feet long. Opened on June 25, the Hoover Mason Trestle located along the blast furnaces with one entrance at the Visitor Center and another at either end of the Gas Blowing Engine House providing access from the Sands parking lot or PBS 39 end of the campus.
The Hoover-Mason Trestle was completed in 1907 and named after the Chicago-based engineers who designed it. For over 80 years, cars delivered raw materials including limestone, iron ore, and coke to the blast furnaces. Men worked around the clock, in three shifts, emptying carloads of materials into storage bins below.
The blast furnaces operated continuously and required constant feeding of materials. Tons of limestone, iron ore or pellets, and coke would be loaded into the furnace in layers. Hot air was blown in near the bottom to fuel the reaction.
The Blower House generated the “wind” for the blast furnaces. Inside this building, rows of giant gas-powered engines pumped pressurized air out to the stoves. The stoves heated the air before it was forced into the furnace. This hot pressurized air reacted with the coke (fuel), producing intense heat and carbon monoxide.
Location: SteelStacks, 711 First Street, Bethlehem, PA 18015
Dingmans Falls is second highest water fall in Pennsylvania, 130 feet. Located in Dingmans Ferry in Delaware Township, Pike County, northeastern Pennsylvania.
This easy to traverse flat boardwalk trail meanders gently through a pristine hemlock ravine. Almost immediately after starting the trail, Silverthread Falls drops 80 feet in a thin ribbon of water through a narrow geometric chute. The boardwalk winds through dense rhododendron shrubs, past tall hemlock with dense canopy, and the sound of a powerful waterfall just around the corner. The boardwalk ends at the base of Dingmans Falls. The final tenth of a mile is a staircase that leads to a birds-eye view from the upper falls.
One can’t help but notice the cool breeze and mist coming from these beautiful falls. There is a benches along way to sit and enjoy the beauty.
St. Michael’s Cemetery, located at 4th & State Sts in South Bethlehem, PA is the resting place for immigrants who came to America in the 19th & 20th centuries, many of whom worked at Bethlehem Steel & other local industries. The land for the cemetery was donated by Asa Packer in 1867 to create the first burial place in Bethlehem consecrated for the interment of Catholics. St. Michael’s is an excellent representation of the diverse cultures that built our community – more than 25 nationalities are buried at St. Michael’s.